Phycologists and others interested in the algae from throughout the world are cordially invited to participate in the 10th International Phycological Congress (IPC 10) in Orlando, Florida, 4 (Sunday) - 10 (Saturday) August 2013. This Congress continues in a tradition that began in 1982 at the first IPC in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada. The overarching theme of IPC 10, Algae in a Changing World, recognizes the important roles of algae in a world where environmental changes are rapidly accelerating. Ultimate sponsorship of these Congresses is provided by the International Phycological Society (IPS). Societies other than the IPS have met in conjunction with most IPCs to date. The Phycological Society of America (PSA) will meet in conjunction with IPC 10.
In 2013, Florida is the first state in the USA to celebrate the 500th, or Quincentennial, Anniversary of its discovery by Europeans and its naming by the Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León. We encourage delegates to consider IPC 10 in Orlando not only as an excellent opportunity to participate in a great international scientific meeting, but also as an occasion for a wonderful vacation/holiday for the delegates and their families. All social events at the Congress will include family members, and arrangements for day-care services will be made for those who need it.
Additional details on program (Plenary Lectures, Symposia, Workshops) and logistics will be announced in the Second Congress Circular which will be issued in mid-January.
We look forward to a fun and productive Congress!
Documents and links
- First Circular (PDF)
- Second Circular (PDF)
- Details and application form for financial assistance from the IPC Fund
- Orlando Tourism
- Registration and abstract submission
- Registration for mid-Congress excursions and Accompanying Persons’ program
Action Items for Delegates
- Submit completed financial assistance applications (deadline: 28 February 2013)
- Submit workshop applications (deadline: 28 February 2013)
- Submit abstract & register for the Congress & Pre-/Post-Congress Tours (beginning 15 March 2013; deadline 30 April 2013), go to: www.sgmeet.com/ipc/ipc2013
- Reserve accommodations at the Congress Venue, the Renaissance Orlando (recommended by 30 April 2013), Go to: https://resweb.passkey.com/go/ips2013.
- Register for mid-Congress excursions and Accompanying Persons' program: (recommended by 15 June 2013, deadline 12 July 2013; tours will close when full, or be canceled if insufficient enrollment), go to:
- Refunds on cancellations for the Congress & Pre-/Post-Congress Tours (deadline: 15 June 2013)
- Refunds on cancellations for mid-Congress excursions and Accompanying Persons' program (deadline: 12 July 2013)
Contact Information for the Conveners: Dr. M. Dennis Hanisak (email@example.com) or Dr. Akshinthala K.S.K. Prasad (firstname.lastname@example.org)
IPC 10 Local Organizing Committee
Conveners: Dr. M. Dennis Hanisak (Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute at Florida Atlantic University) and Dr. Akshinthala K.S.K. Prasad (Florida State University); Other Members of the Local Organizing Committee: Dr. Charles D. Amsler (University of Alabama at Birmingham), Dr. Russell L. Chapman (Louisiana State University), Dr. James A. Nienow (Valdosta State University), and Dr. Linda Walters (University of Central Florida). Website: Mike Guiry.
If further information is required urgently, please contact Dr A.K.S.K. Prasad